Language learning goes beyond learning vocabulary and verbs. In fact, there are language learning standards to which schools and language learning organizations must adhere. This is because learning a language should be an experience that enhances one’s interpersonal skills, bridges a cultural gap, relates subject matter in one language to one’s native tongue, and enriches one’s viewpoint of the differences between languages. Not only is a foreign language useful for the workplace but also for building character and increasing cognitive function. In order to learn a language effectively, one must also focus on the five language learning standards:
The Michigan World Language Standards and Benchmarks states:
There are many ways for language learners to develop and enhance their language proficiency. However, all of these paths to language proficiency have five essential elements in common. All proficiency-oriented opportunities to learn a world language emphasize:
- meaningful spoken, written and/or signed communication
- the fundamental link between language and the culture or cultures in which the language is used
- the role of interdisciplinary content connections
- the need for opportunities to compare languages and cultures
- frequent opportunities to learn and use language within the context of an authentic, living language community.
Spanish Tutoring by Students applies the language learning standards in every private Spanish lesson or tutoring session, just as they are brought into every Spanish classroom. This way, we can ensure that you are taught Spanish in the most effective manor.